Subtitles & Screen Translation
Working across the exhibition and distribution sectors as well as in subtitling, Day for Night is uniquely positioned with an in-depth understanding of the contexts of film production, distribution and exhibition. We are a boutique style subtitling company, and along with our strong appreciation and understanding of moving image culture, we offer an unparalleled expertise in subtitling and screen translation covering 40 languages, with an in-depth understanding of subtitling needs.
We offer competitive rates and swift turnaround times, thanks to our vast network of +250 highly experienced translators and subtitlers based in the UK and around the world. Many of our contributors have worked regularly with Sonali for over 15 years, all with a strong background in film as well as linguistics.
As a boutique subtitling company, our approach is enthusiastic, dedicated and meticulous, while keeping abreast of all the latest industry news and technological advances in the ever-burgeoning digital environment to constantly develop and advance our subtitling practice. Our central aim is to we make visual content widely accessible through language transfer and hard-of-hearing subtitles – paying the closest attention to cultural contexts and nuances, remaining sensitive to audiences, rendering content accurately and succinctly, understanding and respecting filmmaker’s intentions, and ultimately enhancing viewing experiences.
* film: narrative fiction, documentaries, bonus features
* broadcast: factual programming, reality TV, episodic programmes, children’s TV
* music & theatre: classical, contemporary, opera, theatre productions for DVD/Bluray
* visual arts: artists’ film and video, gallery and museum installations, exhibition guides
* education: English language learning videos, academic texts
* text: scripts, sleeve notes, press packs, production notes, combined continuity and spotting lists, festival catalogues, programme notes
* corporate content: airline, banking, business, energy, finance, medical
* other specialist subject areas: architecture & design, arts & humanities, current affairs, geography, law, politics, sport
* formats: theatrical, DVD, Bluray, online and digital, TV, surtitles, text
We are committed to supporting and promoting some of the best in contemporary and independent cinema and video art from around the world, with a particular focus on emerging directors. We release films in cinemas, online and for home entertainment, while we also work actively with film festivals, film societies and clubs, and other organisations arranging film screenings.
Festivals & Events
We curate festivals, film seasons and cross-artform events for cinemas, festivals, NGOs and other independent organisations. We have expert knowledge in contemporary and classic independent cinema from around the world, with particular interests and specialist expertise in Asian Cinema, 1960s & 1970s French Cinema, and Nordic and Baltic cinema.
Cinémathèque* – after two fantastic years of pop-up film events in venues around East London, we are currently taking a break whilst focusing on some of our other broader, ongoing projects.
Cinémathèque*’s aim is to present a curated selection of independent films from around the world, showcasing emerging talent, hidden gems, underground and niche cinema, in alternative spaces.